If you have received an injury due to the negligence of another, it is essential that you obtain a personal injury lawyer if you intend to file a claim. This can be a difficult task if you do not know how to choose the right lawyer. There is more to choosing a lawyer than just simply looking in the internet.
The following is a list of tips on selecting the right lawyer for a personal injury claim:
1. Do not choose a lawyer based only on advertising. A commercial or ad with hyped content does not mean that the lawyer is right for your case. Flash does not always translate into quality.
2. Narrow down your search by looking for an attorney that specializes in injury claims. From there, you can narrow your search further by looking for an attorney that specializes in your particular injury. It will be of benefit to have an attorney that has already been through a case similar to your own case. Request a list of past settlements and verdicts. The more cases a lawyer has actually tried and received positive verdicts, the more success you will have in court.
3. Your insurance company may have a list of qualified and experienced lawyers who have won and settled cases. Many insurance companies use these lists to determine how they will try a case or negotiate a settlement.
4. If you have a family attorney, ask him or her if they know of a good lawyer.
5. Contact your local or state bar association and ask if they have a lawyer referral service.
6. Interview several personal injury lawyers. Ask them about their qualifications and experience handling personal injury claims like yours. Ask about their list of resources such as medical experts. As well, ask if they have been through a personal injury claim trial and what they know about the process. Also ask what your case is worth.
7. Check with your state licensing agency for attorneys for any disciplinary actions against the personal injury lawyer.
8. Ask the personal injury lawyer if you will be kept updated about the progress of your case. Make sure the lawyer will explain how the entire claim process will work. Both you and your lawyer should be on the same page when it comes to how your case will unfold.
9. Be wary of any unsolicited requests from lawyers asking to represent you. Some lawyers do this to gain new business. An experienced and well known attorney will not have to solicit for business.
10. Find out if the lawyer mostly represents insurance companies. This will tell you where they tend to focus their practice.
All qualified and experienced personal injury lawyers will not object to answering questions or providing you with information about them and their practice. When making a personal injury claim, it essential that you have the right lawyer looking after your interests.